Sunday, August 22, 2010

R&S: Who among you can deliver the best rant?

You know what I hate? When there is something in the fridge that only I enjoy drinking - like cranberry juice- and yet my mother insists that I use a glass. If I want to drink out of the bottle like a damned, uncivilized feral child, I will. No one else can stomach the taste, so who is going to catch my cooties, I ask you? Plus, it's kind of doing her a favour. It's less glasses for her to clean.


I would clean the glasses myself, but about two months ago I opened the dishwasher and there was a scorpion inside! Like, an actual for-real stinging scorpion. We don't even live in a desert, we live in the ******* suburbs! So I just closed the dishwasher, turned it on its hottest, longest setting, and left a note warning the next passerby that there may or may not be a live little bastard inside waiting to eat my face off.


Then yesterday, I found a spider in my bathroom. When I sprayed it with bug killer (I don't believe in besmirching my nice shoes with bug guts) about 50 babies crawled off of it! What does it say about the state of my parent's home when every dorm room I've ever lived in has had less killer bugs. I just can't live this way anymore. I hate having to boil creatures alive (although, evidently I'm not above it), as well as things that magical multiply when I try to kill them. And I want to drink out of the bottle! Dad gets to eat ice cream out of the container. And what do I get? I mean besides rent-free, expense-free, worry-free living for a summer...





It's not exactly as vehement as I would like, but I tried. I really, really did.R%26amp;S: Who among you can deliver the best rant?
The war between being and nothingness is the underlying illness of the twentieth century. Boredom slays more of existence than war.





Boredom is like a pitiless zooming in on the epidermis of time. Every instant is dilated and magnified like the pores of the face





When I get real bored, I like to drive downtown and get a great parking spot, then sit in my car and count how many people ask me if I'm leaving.R%26amp;S: Who among you can deliver the best rant?
I read many many threads on every forum I visit about the problems people have with their computers. It always strikes me that people have been misled over the years by the big IT companies that computing is both simple and something everyone can do. This is simply not the case!





Back in the day, computers were large and scary and a person had to be versed in the black arts of low level languages and system monitors to be able to interact with them. This was actually ok, because everyone knew this and those without the time, perspicacity and will steered a wide course.





Then the home computing bug hit hard in the late 70's and 80's and suddenly computers were for everyone. This was also ok, because those simple old 8 bit machines with their embedded OS's, interpreted high level programming languages and closed architectures were pretty easy to get on with - essentially they were games consoles with an advanced programmable calculator built in. You could write a few simple lines of code and convince yourself that you were a rocket scientist and no-one got hurt.





The PC revolution is where it all went wrong really. In order to evolve the breed, it was necessary to progress to an open architecture. Now hundreds of different tech firms could work on the same basic machine and release their own hardware add-ons. Of course, there had to be a seperately loaded OS to deal with all this diverse tech, as no two machines would ever be the same. So we ended up with MS-DOS and various GUI's that sat on top. Eventually Windows won out and we know the rest.





This means that modern PC's are NOT simple devices. Quite the contrary. Multiple core processors from different manufacturers, differing memory technologies, hard drives, complicated graphics subsystems, hi-fi sound boards etc all add up to a much more powerful beast than the Spectrums and Commodore 64's most of us cut our teeth on.





Here then, is where the rub lies. In order to shift units of these expensive to produce technical marvels (and the OS's that run on them), Microsoft, Apple and the hardware firms have fostered the illusion that computing is simple, everyone can do it and you need to have one in order to continue living. This is of course, very much not the case.





Now Apple produce their own hardware. This has meant that their OS, knowing exactly what it will run on has a stability advantage over Windows, which could land up on any old hodge podge of diverse (and often inappropriate) components. They are therefore not as guilty as MS of fostering this big lie but they certainly do take advantage of it!





The truth is that your PC is a highly complex device, difficult to keep in tune and prone to throwing up errors. This is NORMAL. If you are versed in PC architecture and the vagaries of your OS, then it is possible to run more or less error free for years. To expect the average person to enjoy the same level of reliability is ludicrous. What you should do and more importantly SHOULDN'T do in order to keep a modern PC running well is a learned art, much like maintaining a classic car or running a business. It is not something that can be left to the layman with any real expectation of success.





Modern OS's attempt to disguise this fact with pretty graphics and options dumbed down as much as possible. Many consoles are difficult to reach or given no direct link in order to cut down on the tinkering component as much as possible. This helps foster the illusion of the PC as a simple appliance item that can largely be ignored and used however one pleases. The classic car or business treated this way wont last long, yet we are surprised when our PC's give up the ghost or start throwing up errors when subjected to this regime of neglect.





Then there is the gray area in between of people who KNOW that their computer needs some love but have no real understanding of what form that love should take. How many people run some form of automated error repair? Have anti-crash software installed? Use Norton Utilities or similar? All this stuff is aimed at middle ground users and not knowing any better they lap it up. The efficacity of these applications is highly debatable, but what is sure is that for anyone who knows their machine, they are irrelevant.





So there you have it - the real reason you want to throw your machine out the window when that error appears for the eighty-seventh time is not that the machine is being impossible. It is that you have bought into an impossible dream - a lie sold to you by the big technology companies. Embrace this simple truth and though it may not make your relationship with your PC easier, it may at least allow you to understand why it's difficult in the first place ;-)
So why is it that every impoverished little tart HAS to phone her BFF as she leaves the Piggly Wiggly and pulls out into traffic right in front of me on my motorcycle so she can inform her that she's just bought the gallon tub-full of Chunky Monkey and is on her way back to the trailer so she can guzzle it whole and then cry herself to sleep AGAIN?
Fundamentalist Christians. There is SO MUCH for me to complain about I could seriously write like a 10 page essay on why they suck with no effort.





Actually, I could rant about anything for about 10 pages if I hate it enough.
I guess Arnold is the only one who has this ability.





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFl-WQAXM鈥?/a>
This is the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. I hate when you people post these asinine ';questionssss!!!!!';


TIRHHHHH
I would have to vote for the womanizing dude that is hung up on his misunderstanding of the 14th chapter of 1 Corinthians
Give me something to rant about, and I might.


Never too long to lose everyone though.


And no bible quotes.
Rant is that your middle name lol
I do not rant,,I try to be like Christ and show forgiveness.
fireball WHEN IM FEELING LIKE IT BUT MANY TIMES FOR STUPID QUES IT IS ALOT SHORTER..
Get me heated on a topic, and I am set to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment