Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Rant on reading fast vs slow...?

See, I can read pretty fast, not sure about words per minute, but faster than the usual 16 year old kid. The only problem I have when I read fast is that I don't seem to enjoy the book that well. Although I have very good comprehension of everything and while I may not remember everything off the top of my head, if you asked me questions later about the book, I would know the answers, sort of sub-consciously... The main problem I have when reading slow is that I seem to have a very short attention span with books, no matter how intriguing and interesting the book may be to some, if I don't finish a book within a couple days, I usually don't finish it at all. So I am sort of in a dilemma of sorts, sacrifice enjoyment with speed or sacrifice speed with enjoyment, but risk not finishing the book.





Decisions, decisions.Rant on reading fast vs slow...?
You should cultivate the ability to read slower and to read longer books -- ones that last longer than a few days. Do this by learning to appreciate elements of the book other than the ones you currently appreciate. For instance, if you currently read fast because you like a plot that moves along very quickly, try paying more attention to character, theme or style.





This might not be easy to do, but it's worth the effort. You can do it by setting up deliberate reading schedules, keeping track of how long you read, reading books that are progressively longer and more challenging (that means, don't jump into War and Peace immediately), giving yourself little rewards every time you read slower and continue reading for more than a few days, etc.





College may be a good way to force you into the habit if you don't acquire it by then. Take some good courses that require you to read good long books you otherwise wouldn't read -- then use the demands of the course to learn to appreciate those things I named above.





However you do it, you'll find after awhile that you become 'addicted' to long, slow reading. In other words, you'll enjoy it and look forward to it.Rant on reading fast vs slow...?
Try my system. After speed reading, go to digestive reading-- meaning read to analyse the details.
Read slower for comprehension
Try reading the book twice. Speed through it the first time to get the basic facts, then go back to it and savor it. Since you already know what's going to happen, you can skip the boring parts and just enjoy a slow study of the good stuff. The second reading is good for appreciating how the author sets the stage for what's to come, and other details of how the story is put together.
I can read fast too, but I like reading at a slower, steadier pace to give the story time to build in my mind, allowing me to create images and pictures that enrich the story. For me, it's not about how fast I get there, but how much I enjoy the journey.





Just my opinion. :)
I read pretty fast too. Don't just repeat the words in your head, imagine the situations you're reading about. Try to enjoy a book, not memorize facts.





I also think you really need to find some better books to read. Please use the adult section in the card catalog in your library. Try looking up fiction that might interest you, such as authors like John Irving, Tom Wolfe( I am Charlotte Simmons and Bonfire of the Vanities) and non-fiction David Sadaris.





Blame me if you don't like them. :)
  • free makeup
  • blackhead treatment
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment