Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Rant about school system.?

So last night, I was helping my nephew with his first grade reading assignment. He was to read a five sentence short story called ';Iggy the Iguana';, and then, cut out each line and re paste it on a piece of construction paper in order. Okay, fair enough, Here's the kicker. As I was reading this story, I see what should have been the word ';because'; was replaced TWICE with ';cuz';. Yes, the teacher typed the story out this way, so he thought that was how you spelled because, and was trying to teach his kindergarten age sister. We corrected them of course, then crossed the word out on his homework replacing it with the correct word. Isn't this ridiculous. I didn't realize we were teaching our kids netspeak in first grade. Anyone run into anything similar? Just curious.Rant about school system.?
its ridiculous.......i wont let my kids watch winnie the pooh because of backwards letters and wrong spellings, i cant imagine the fit i would have if my child teacher started it too. you have every right to be angry, and i hope you get it stopped.Rant about school system.?
OMG that's shocking. As a teacher I would never do that, but the level of some teachers' English leaves a lot to be desired! My Mum is a deputy headteacher and both her and her headteacher would go crazy if they knew a member of their teaching staff was doing such a thing! Report to headteacher immediately. Tut tut.





edit - thankfully they are in the minority, and I have to say, I completely disagree with home-schooling.
Wow, that is pretty bad, i would definitely talk to the teacher about that and if they don't correct their mistake talk to the principal. We relocated our daughter from kindergartens because the kids already knew gang signs and the teachers had no clue. Makes me wonder what they did all day.
No. :]


Probably just a mistake.


Or...his teacher's relatives typed it.
i would cantact the teacher and explain it


no accusations, or anything, just explaining
Wow never came acrossed that. I think you should or the parents should have a talk with the teacher about this.
The Junie B Jones book series, aimed at first graders, is full of colloquial misspellings like that. A strong first grade reader will actually appreciate noticing the misspellings %26amp; figuring out why they were spelled like that (to sound like 'how people talk' phonetically). Most of my first grade daughter's friends who are in her reading level at school *love* the Junie books.





It's possible that your nephew's teacher felt he was ready for that lesson at this point. If you don't think so, the best thing to do is for his parent to talk to the teacher about the lessons being presented to him.
I have never come across a teacher writing in this manner, but i found that my son does. There have been several times that i had to make him re-write a paper because of his language use. He claims that he doesn't even realize he is making that mistake. I think the whole problem is that we are in the world of texting and chatting online using our own form of shorthand.


I think you need to let the mistake known to the teacher and let her know your concerns. If the problem isn't corrected, then maybe seek help from the principle. However, it probably was an honest mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment